In this episode, Chris talks to Dan Kogan, VP of Product Management for FlashArray at Pure Storage. At Pure Accelerate 2023 in Las Vegas, Pure Storage announced upgraded FlashArray//X and FlashArray//C systems with fourth generation (R4) hardware. There is also a new platform, FlashArray//E, the sibling to the FlashBlade//E announced earlier in the year.
The R4 upgrades to the //X and //C models implement the latest Intel processors (Sapphire Rapids), DDR5 memory and PCIe 4.0. This combination claims to provide a 40% performance improvement over R3 systems.
The FlashArray//E is the “eco” version of FlashArray, with the same goals as the FlashBlade//E, to replace legacy HDD systems. This new platform scales from 1-4PB in capacity, overlapping with FlashBlade//E, which scales from 4PB to around 20PB.
The new systems introduce 75TB QLC and 36TB TLC DFMs (DirectFlash Modules), moving Pure Storage closer to the goal of delivering 300TB DFMs by 2026.
Elapsed Time: 00:32:13
You can find lots of background information on FlashArray and other Pure Storage announcements through our dedicated Pure Storage Microsite (or see some of the links below). Pure Accelerate is taking place in Las Vegas between 14-16 June 2023.
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:00:40 – What are the new FlashArray announcements?
- 00:02:35 – What are current challenges for enterprise customers?
- 00:04:20 – Environmental factors and human factors affect modern storage management
- 00:06:10 – The FlashArray family now supports a broad range of requirements
- 00:07:44 – Data mobility is now also a factor to realign data on platforms
- 00:10:19 – New R4 systems deliver 40% performance improvements
- 00:12:34 – Customers with subscriptions gain inclusive significant improvements
- 00:14:32 – What are the new model capacities?
- 00:18:13 – FlashArray//E is the block equivalent of FlashBlade//E
- 00:20:56 – FlashArray//E scales 1-4PB, then FlashBlade//E takes over
- 00:23:30 – DFMs now deliver 75TB (QLC) and 36TB (TLC)
- 00:28:00 – The new solutions integrate into Pure1, Fusion and Evergreen
- 00:30:49 – Are the new products available now?
- 00:31:20 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #245 – Design Strategies for 300TB Flash Drives with Shawn Rosemarin from Pure Storage
- #243 – Introducing FlashBlade//E
- #234 – Introducing Pure Storage FlashBlade//S with CTO Rob Lee
- #232 – Building Power-Efficient Storage Systems with Justin Emerson from Pure Storage
- #133 – FlashArray//C Deeper Dive with Pete Kirkpatrick
- Pure Storage Natively Unified Block and File Protocols on FlashArray
- Pure Storage adds a SmartNIC to FlashArray//XL
- Pure Storage Introduces FlashArray//XL
- Pure Storage FlashArray//C
Copyright (c) 2016-2023 Unpacked Network. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #pst4