In this episode, Chris talks to Derek Dicker, CEO at Nyriad about the UltraIO storage array. Nyriad has developed a new storage architecture using GPUs that accelerate the calculations needed to store data using erasure coding. This enables UltraIO to implement system-wide data protection using erasure coding at the block level.
In contrast to most storage vendors in the market today, the UltraIO platform uses hard disk drives, with a GPU to process data ingested by the system, while data is presented back through the CPU route. This dual processor architecture enables Nyriad to deliver a product with 20GB/s of throughput, scale to multiple petabytes of capacity and provide dynamic data protection defined by the customer.
Nyriad sees UltraIO being used across four industries – HPC, Media & Entertainment, Backup and Recovery, and Active Archive. Essentially the solution excels at handling large volumes of unstructured data that needs high throughput processing.
Learn more about Nyriad, the origins of the solution with the Square Kilometre Array and customer examples at https://www.nyriad.io/
Elapsed Time: 00:32:28
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:40 – UltraIO was introduced in 2022
- 00:02:25 – Why is UltraIO different to traditional storage systems?
- 00:03:30 – GPUs can be used within data storage systems
- 00:04:10 – The Square Kilometre Array was an early customer
- 00:06:15 – UltraIO fits a specific set of requirements around data ingestion throughput
- 00:06:55 – UltraIO uses hard disk drives and erasure coding
- 00:08:00 – Ingested data is processed via GPU, then accessed by CPU
- 00:10:00 – Erasure coding allows customer-based resiliency settings
- 00:12:00 – The hardware for UltraIO uses standardised off the shelf hardware
- 00:14:50 – What markets does UltraIO fit? (HPC, M&E, Backup/Recovery & Active Archive)
- 00:16:15 – The UltraIO architecture has strong sustainability characteristics
- 00:18:45 – Most vendors have moved away from HDDs
- 00:23:00 – Digital Image replaced three systems with an UltraIO
- 00:24:20 – Don’t keep data forever!
- 00:26:35 – UltraIO helped Digital Glue deliver a media asset management solution
- 00:27:30 – System capacities are from one to three petabytes raw
- 00:29:15 – Nyriad works through the channel
- 00:31:00 – Wrap Up
Copyright (c) 2016-2023 Unpacked Network. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #3erd