In this live episode, recorded at Hitachi Exchange in Paris, Chris chats to Gary Lyng, VP of Products and Solutions at Hitachi Vantara. The company recently announced the VSP One platform, plus some organisational changes that will take Hitachi Vantara back to a focus on core infrastructure. This recording dives into the strategy behind VSP One, before new products and services follow in 2024.
We covered the VSP One announcement and reorganisation details in a blog post, available here – https://www.architecting.it/blog/hitachi-vsp-one/
More information on Hitachi Vantara is available through our X-Ray eBook (subscription required).
Elapsed Time: 00:31:37
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:50 – The 100% availability guarantee is 20+ years old
- 00:02:40 – What is the VSP One announcement?
- 00:04:10 – With many silos, infrastructure has become complex
- 00:07:05 – The current announcement is a strategy, products due in 2024
- 00:08:10 – Modern storage requirements have evolved
- 00:09:55 – Reliability, consistency and availability are key attributes of modern systems
- 00:13:30 – GenAI and analytics are driving data volumes
- 00:14:55 – Can data be culled or at least tidied?
- 00:15:50 – Humans like to keep “stuff”
- 00:19:45 – Modern IT systems can never be offline
- 00:21:20 – Cloud now has high performance instances that can build virtual SANs
- 00:24:20 – DLM is back, but in a new way, as data value can increase over time
- 00:25:05 – Keeping data “forever” doesn’t really mean forever
- 00:27:00 – Hitachi Vantara has restructured to move capabilities to Hitachi Digital Services
- 00:30:50 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- Hitachi Vantara reorganises and announces the VSP One platform
- #160 – Updates on Hitachi Ops Center with Stan Stevens
- #154 – Hitachi Vantara VSP E990 NVMe Midrange Appliance
Copyright (c) 2016-2023 Unpacked Network. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #r4dx.