In this week’s episode, Chris catches up with Stan Stevens, Director of Software Product Marketing at Hitachi Vantara to talk about updates to Hitachi Ops Center. Ops Center is the storage management platform for administering Hitachi VSP storage products. Stan discusses new features (including Ops Center Protector and support for VSP E990), and provides a view on what to expect in the future.
Ops Center is divided into four main components – Administrator for provisioning and systems management; Analyser for AIOps functionality, including problem resolution; Automator for workflow automation and Protector for data protection and backup. As Stan explains in this discussion, Ops Center aims to augment existing customer processes and tools, rather than be a replacement for them.
One interesting aspect of the use of a single management platform is the ability to provide the same automation and provisioning process across solutions that are designed for enterprise and midrange. This provides the opportunity to optimise data placement without having to change management processes.
More details on the Ops Center portfolio can be found here – https://www.hitachivantara.com/en-us/products/it-operations-management/ops-center.html
Elapsed Time: 00:33:12
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:00 – Quick recap on Hitachi’s structure
- 00:02:54 – What is Ops Center?
- 00:04:40 – What are the components of Ops Center?
- 00:07:30 – What’s the strategy with Ops Center?
- 00:10:30 – Ops Center will expose APIs to integrate with existing frameworks
- 00:11:50 – Workflows and automation templates are included in the platform
- 00:16:52 – Storage administration is changing – higher level management
- 00:19:20 – 160 million data points collected in 24 hours – AIOps
- 00:21:00 – What’s new – Protector – backup to cloud/object 7 E990 support
- 00:23:55 – Ops Center offers standardisation of management platforms
- 00:28:00 – How does backup to cloud work? 00:30:00 – Future, what’s coming next?
- 00:31:58 – Wrap up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #154 – Hitachi Vantara VSP E990 NVMe Midrange Appliance with Colin Gallagher
- #125 – Hitachi Next 2019: Ops Center
- #103 – Data Management and DataOps with Hitachi Vantara
Copyright (c) 2016-2020 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #v06o.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download