In this episode, Chris catches up with Omer Asad (SVP & GM) from HPE and Phil Manez (Director of Channel Sales) from VAST Data to discuss the recent announcement of HPE GreenLake for File Storage, powered by VAST Data’s Universal Storage platform. HPE and VAST Data have partnered to bring a new scale-out file services solution to market. HPE has developed a new platform of storage hardware, branded Alletra MP. The “file persona” is powered by VAST Data Universal Storage, marketed, sold and supported by HPE.
GreenLake for File Storage (and Block Storage sibling) represents a change in strategy for HPE, as software and hardware are licensed separately. This approach aligns with the direction adopted by VAST Data when Gemini was first announced in April 2021. From the perspective of VAST Data, the HPE partnership provides access to a broader market of customers, with an entry point as small as 250TB of unstructured data storage capacity.
Learn more about VAST Data at https://vastdata.com/ (or see the related links later in these notes).
More details on HPE GreenLake is available here – https://www.hpe.com/us/en/greenlake.html
Finally, here’s a link to the HPE GreenLake Day for storage event Omer mentions in the discussion.
Elapsed Time: 00:36:30
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:02:00 – HPE introduces GreenLake for File Storage
- 00:03:35 – VAST is providing the storage component of the package
- 00:04:40 – HPE has introduced new common hardware – Alletra MP
- 00:06:30 – VAST Data’s Universal Storage aligned with HPE’s storage vision
- 00:08:00 – Alletra MP will enable “personas” or protocol specific architectures
- 00:09:30 – HPE storage licensing has evolved to separate hardware and software
- 00:11:15 – Alletra MP enables customers to buy “storage hardware by the pallet”
- 00:12:30 – VAST Gemini is the model of license disaggregation used by HPE
- 00:15:30 – HPE’s servers bring supply chain and support benefits and reach
- 00:18:15 – GreenLake storage servers are managed by the GreenLake infrastructure
- 00:19:30 – Who supports the new platform?
- 00:25:15 – VAST has helped HPE with third party InfoSight integrations
- 00:27:30 – How will existing customers be managed?
- 00:31:00 – What use cases does HPE expect with GreenLake for File Storage?
- 00:32:15 – Customers can start at 250TB or 500TB
- 00:35:45 – Wrap Up
- #233 – Introduction to VAST Data Ceres Hardware Platform with Jeff Denworth
- #226 – VAST Data Universal Storage for Data Protection
- #216 – The Data Explosion with VAST Data CEO Renen Hallak
- #106 – Introduction to VAST Data (Part II) with Howard Marks
- #105 – Introduction to VAST Data (Part I) with Howard Marks
- #148 – Unpacking HPE’s Storage Strategy
- VAST Data has Vast Ambitions
- VAST Data goes software-only – what does this mean for customers?
- VAST Data launches with new scale-out storage platform
- HPE announces new GreenLake storage solutions with new hardware
Copyright (c) 2016-2023 Unpacked Network. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #fg44.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Podcast (storageunpacked): Play in new window | Download