This week, Chris is in conversation with Don Foster, Global Head of Sales Engineering for Commvault. The discussion covers the experiences of customers as IT continues to evolve into public, hybrid and multi-clouds. Don runs the global Sales Engineering teams, tasked with helping customers protect their data in a world that now includes on-premises deployments, the public cloud and SaaS. How do customers protect against the ever present spectre of ransomware, while delivering 100% availability to business users and customers?
Don highlights some interesting aspects of modern data protection solutions, including the ability for Commvault to leverage the “Power of And” by harnessing an extensive amount of internal intellectual property. This is being brought to bear in new solutions like Metallic, while ensuring that “no workload is left behind”. Ultimately, customers want flexibility and data protection partners that can be with them on their journey as IT adopts and adjusts to cloud-like models of operation.
You can find out more about Commvault at commvault.com, check out Metallic at metallic.io and review content on the Commvault YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/commvaultsystems. Also, check out our dedicated microsite covering all things Commvault at https://www.architecting.it/microsites/commvault-microsite/.
Elapsed Time: 00:46:31
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:03:45 – How has IT evolved since Commvault was established?
- 00:05:20 – Customers want to move away from being technology experts
- 00:06:35 – Public cloud has changed the landscape – from cost model to requirements
- 00:07:10 – Current cloud models are focusing on optimisation
- 00:08:05 – Unstructured data growth continues at a pace
- 00:10:10 – Customers want help with ransomware incident response
- 00:11:30 – IT is moving to ethereal code-based application model
- 00:15:40 – Chris wants everything today!
- 00:17:55 – Customers have to juggle many balls at the same time
- 00:20:30 – Many silos creates challenges for resilient applications
- 00:23:15 – Data protection is now at the core of business
- 00:27:10 – Metallic leverages the “power of and” to provide SaaS backup
- 00:32:10 – Be careful to not let the tail wag the dog
- 00:34:30 – How are customers managing internal data assets?
- 00:37:35 – Data value is no longer based on age
- 00:38:40 – What other technology aspects need to change in data protection?
- 00:41:50 – We need tools for “zero-trust” data
- 00:44:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #205 – 25 Years of Commvault & the Power of And (Sponsored)
- #128 – Reflections on Commvault GO with Glenn Dekhayser
- #124 – Initial Thoughts on Commvault Metallic with Chris Mellor
- The Future of Commvault is Metallic
- Commvault Announces Metallic SaaS Data Protection
Copyright (c) 2016-2022 Unpacked Network. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #cvl9.