This is the second of two podcasts recorded live at IP EXPO 2018 in London. You can find the first here. In this episode, Chris and Martin speak to Scale Computing, StorMagic, Nasuni and Nephos Technologies. The guests are:
- Aad Dekkers, Marketing Director, EMEA at Scale Computing
- John Glendenning, SVP Sales and Business Development at StorMagic
- Andy Hardy, Vice President, EMEA at Nasuni
- Michael Queenan, Co-founder at Nephos Technologies
Both Scale Computing and StorMagic offer products that work in the hyper-converged area and fit well with Edge computing requirements. Nasuni is a global scale-out file system backed by the public cloud. Nephos Technologies is an independent consultancy helping companies design and implement data frameworks. As usual, the conversations were fast paced, although limited to 10 minutes each. Thanks to all who took their time to speak with us over the course of the day and to TouchdownPR for organising.
Elapsed Time: 00:44:45
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:00:30 – Aad Dekkers from Scale Computing
- 00:01:30 – Virtualisation based on KVM and SCRIBE
- 00:03:15 – Hyper-converged since 2012
- 00:05:30 – Solutions today fit well with edge computing requirements
- 00:07:45 – Disclaimer – Chris has a Scale cluster in the lab!
- 00:09:30 – Single nodes are also supported for specific edge cases
- 00:11:30 – John Glendenning from StorMagic
- 00:12:30 – SvSAN highly applicable for edge-type solutions
- 00:15:00 – How do you deploy and service remote locations like wind farms?
- 00:16:00 – Higher level functions (e.g. replication) are done with partners
- 00:17:45 – Is there a trial version available?
- 00:18:30 – What about not being tied to the hypervisor?
- 00:20:00 – The ice cream has arrived!
- 00:23:00 – Andy Hardy from Nasuni
- 00:25:00 – Global scale-out NAS backed by the public cloud
- 00:26:45 – Current focus is archive
- 00:28:00 – Offering differentiated pricing for archive data without moving the content
- 00:33:15 – Is that my wife? No, it’s the timer!
- 00:34:00 – Michael Queenan, Nephew Technologies
- 00:34:45 – Is this hardware replacement or true data strategy?
- 00:37:00 – How does Nephos stay independent?
- 00:38:15 – Michael’s family are forced to listen to the podcast!
- 00:40:00 – Nephos – ancient Greek for cloud
- 00:41:00 – What are the biggest problems to solve today?
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #69 – IP EXPO 2018 – Cloudian, E8 Storage, StorCentric and Zerto
- Cloud as a Tier of Storage
- Scale Computing Debuts HC3 in Google Cloud Platform
Podcast: Play in new window | Download