This week, Chris and Martin are talking to a podcast repeat offender, Subbiah Sundaram, VP of Products at HYCU. HYCU has recently announced the availability of Protégé for Microsoft Office 365, delivered as SaaS or Backup as a Service (BaaS). This continues an expansion of the HYCU and Protégé backup offerings that started with Nutanix data protection and has expanded past on-premises virtualisation to encompass the public cloud and now SaaS.
The conversation covers a wide range of topics relating SaaS and data protection, including the way in which services are implemented via APIs provided by SaaS vendors. With unlimited data storage, SaaS backup offers real opportunities for data mining and analysis.
Elapsed Time: 00:47:15
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:03:00 – Vendors do not back up your SaaS service (for you)
- 00:04:45 – Office365 is a multitude of separate services
- 00:09:00 – Where does HYCU BaaS reside?
- 00:10:00 – The charging model for BaaS is different to on-premises offerings
- 00:11:25 – How does the customer monitor success/failure in SaaS offerings?
- 00:17:00 – Some businesses are happy with self-restore, others are not!
- 00:18:30 – What features do SaaS vendors offer to do backup?
- 00:20:00 – SaaS API users need to rethink how their services are built
- 00:22:00 – Centralised credentials management is key to delivering SaaS
- 00:25:50 – How can unlimited storage be justified and what does it mean?
- 00:29:00 – Can unlimited storage be abused?
- 00:31:50 – Can unlimited be used as deliberately limited (active deletion)?00:35:50 – Is BaaS a perfect tool for e-discovery?
- 00:42:55 – How will HYCU bring in the existing non-SaaS service together with SaaS?
- 00:44:20 – The Public Cloud is the right place to doing backup analytics
- 00:45:30 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #165 – Homogeneous Data Protection with HYCU
- #73 – HYCU – Data Protection for Hyper-Converged Infrastructure
- HYCU Announces GA of HYCU for Azure
- Backup os Your Responsibility – Even in Public Cloud
Copyright (c) 2016-2021 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #tv7t.