This week, Chris and Martin chat to long-time friend and Kubernetes legend, Nigel Poulton. Nigel is well-known in the industry for producing training courses and books on Kubernetes, although was once a storage person in a previous life. The aim of this podcast episode is to examine how storage and Kubernetes come together. However, we start by asking Nigel to explain his pivot to containers and now the Kubernetes ecosystem.
This discussion touches on some interesting aspects of how persistent storage and Kubernetes should be managed together, which today is via the CSI (Container Storage Interface). Is this plugin a long-term solution for data mobility? We also manage to get an obligatory mainframe reference into the conversation.
Sadly we didn’t get through all of our discussion topics in this long-running episode, so Nigel will be back later in the year to continue the conversation.
You can find more on Kubernetes, over at Nigel’s Website: https://nigelpoulton.com/
Elapsed Time: 00:53:08
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:00 – Nigel is looking for things to “read”
- 00:05:10 – Why did Nigel pivot to Kubernetes?
- 00:07:50 – Is Kubernetes the future of containers?
- 00:09:55 – Kubernetes needs to avoid the OpenStack risk
- 00:13:15 – Are we building permanent or temporary cluster?
- 00:17:40 – Why did AWS open source EKS?
- 00:22:30 – Shouldn’t we talk about storage now?
- 00:25:40 – Networking is just “pass the parcel” (hot potato)
- 00:28:00 – Customers should be using CSI-supported storage
- 00:32:00 – Nigel believes data mobility should be an application responsibility
- 00:35:10 – Obligatory mainframe reference (DFSMS)
- 00:39:20 – How should autoscaling work for storage and Kubernetes?
- 00:42:20 – Why is QoS in storage not seen more frequently?
- 00:49:00 – Nigel is into muscle cars
- 00:51:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #53 – Persistent Storage and Kubernetes with Evan Powell
- #151 – Introduction to StorageOS v2.0
- #145 – Anthos Ready Storage for the Enterprise
- #129 – Choices for Persistent Container Storage with Niraj Tolia
- Will We Care About Kubernetes in 2025?
Nigel’s a technology geek, author of three utterly mind-blowing and life-changing books, and creator of weapons-grade Kubernetes training videos (his words not ours).
Copyright (c) 2016-2021 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #lx84.
Podcast (storageunpacked): Play in new window | Download