As we move to a hybrid and multi-cloud world, IT organisations need standardisation in operational processes. This is particularly true for data protection, where consistent policies and compliance are essential. This week, Chris chats to Subbiah Sundaram from HYCU about data protection in public clouds and the ability to bring a consistent reporting model with HYCU Protege.
Why is consistency important? Public cloud providers have relatively basic data protection options, that might not align with existing enterprise requirements. As workloads move around, backup needs to be consistently applied, whether that data is on premises or in a platform like Azure.
There are three choices; run multiple platforms and hope they can be manually aligned. Alternatively, SaaS offers great centralisation but doesn’t provide local recovery. A third option is to use backup software designed for each platform and a central management/reporting platform.
HYCU now offers data protection for on-premises, Azure and GCP workloads. Management reporting is centralised using Protege. Customers can also use Protege for application mobility, moving backups between platforms with consistent restore capabilities across clouds.
To learn more about Protege and HYCU for Azure & GCP, check out https://www.hycu.com/ and for Test Drive – find out more in this blog post. You can learn more about HYCU for Azure in this Architecting IT blog post.
Elapsed Time: 00:31:08
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:00 – What is hybrid and multi-cloud data protection?
- 00:04:30 – Moving to cloud needs a rethink of data protection
- 00:05:05 – Cloud backup solutions aren’t very mature
- 00:06:06 – Portability and multiple copies are still important
- 00:09:00 – Three scenarios – SaaS backup for everything
- 00:09:30 – Scenario 2 – do nothing
- 00:10:30 – Scenario 3 – centralised management distributed backup
- 00:12:10 – Local copies enable fast recovery
- 00:13:30 – Application mobility hasn’t really happened
- 00:14:20 – Networking is still a major issue in application mobility
- 00:19:00 – HYCU for Azure, how does it work?
- 00:22:00 – What is Protege?
- 00:27:00 – What about Futures – Containers? AWS?
- 00:27:30 – Nutanix Mine and HYCU Test Drive
- 00:30:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #73 – HYCU – Data Protection for Hyper-converged Infrastructure
- HYCU Announces GA of HYCU for Azure
- Data Protection Choices for Heterogeneous Environments
Copyright (c) 2016-2020 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #vued.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download