Storage startup StorONE has introduced the S1: All-Flash Array.next (also known as S1:AFAn) which accelerates performance using Intel Optane technology. In this podcast, Chris and Martin discuss the benefits of Optane within the S1 platform in a conversation with George Crump, CMO at StorONE and formerly the founder of Storage Switzerland.
S1 is a software-defined storage solution that optimises the use of hardware resources to deliver an efficient and low-cost multi-protocol shared storage platform. The architecture of S1 enables Intel Optane to be used as a tier of storage that acts as the primary target for write I/O. Optane is used in S1 in conjunction with Intel QLC 3D NAND SSDs to provide both a cost-effective storage implementation and one where low latency and high throughput is achieved with only a small number of Intel Optane drives.
George explains the features of Optane, which include high endurance and low latency. A single S1:AFAn with just 3 Optane drives can deliver 1 million IOPS and up to 300,000 sustained write IOPS.
StorONE has taken the stance of providing pricing transparency. Customers can pre-configure systems using TRUprice, an online configuration tool that shows configuration pricing for multiple vendor hardware configurations or simply software only.
You can learn more about S1:AFAn at the StorONE website (https://www.storone.com/product/s1-afan/) and find more details on TRUprice here (https://www.storone.com/truprice/).
Elapsed Time: 00:40:34
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:27 – George moves to the dark side!
- 00:02:18 – What is the StorONE storage platform?
- 00:03:45 – S1:AFAn Intel Optane Array
- 00:05:19 – How is SCM/PM Implemented in S1?
- 00:08:12 – S1 used Optane as a tier
- 00:11:00 – S1 is a software-defined storage solution
- 00:13:11 – Optane and S1 has significant latency improvements
- 00:14:30 – Faster storage means more efficient CPU utilisation
- 00:16:00 – Data hits the Optane tier first and is then archived down
- 00:19:30 – Customers can implement flexible hardware configurations
- 00:21:30 – Read performance from QLC is almost as good as Optane
- 00:23:40 – Are we seeing the emergence of a new hybrid architecture?
- 00:28:00 – Hero Numbers – how does Intel improve performance?
- 00:31:00 – S1 also offers object storage through the S3 protocol
- 00:35:00 – How is S1 priced? TRUprice
- 00:36:30 – Will StorONE help expose better cost transparency?
- 00:38:36 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #141 – Building Storage Systems of the Future
- Managing Massive Media
- The Expanding Storage Hierarchy
- What are SCM and PM?
George has over 25 years of experience in the storage industry, holding executive sales and engineer positions. Before joining StorONE, he was the founder and lead analyst at Storage Switzerland.
Copyright (c) 2016-2020 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #jfei.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download