In this episode, Chris, Martin and Chris are joined by Infinidat CMO, Eric Herzog. The aim of this continuing discussion is to review the storage news and events from 2021. As usual though, the agenda gets trashed and the conversation goes down a series of rabbit holes. However, the team do manage to discuss the changing world of storage management, SmartNICs, the expansion of Amazon FSx, storage-as-a-service and a range of predictions.
Elapsed Time: 00:55:20
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:00:40 – We’ve increased our numbers by an Eric!
- 00:03:00 – We said goodbye to some storage companies in 2021
- 00:05:15 – Unstructured growth is driving success in file companies
- 00:06:30 – Hybrid cloud and data mobility is a 2020s issue
- 00:10:15 – Successful companies? Weka, VAST, Infinidat
- 00:12:30 – Eric sees a multi-cloud world with data placed tactically
- 00:15:15 – How much AI do we need in storage management?
- 00:17:18 – Storage Management has changed dramatically in 10 years
- 00:19:45 – Chris gives his opinion on Nebulon’s SmartNIC
- 00:22:30 – Would Infinidat support SmartNICs?
- 00:28:00 – Amazon extended the FSx solution offerings in 2021
- 00:30:00 – FSx for ONTAP – will this drive other vendors to follow suit?
- 00:32:40 – Chris sees a need for all storage vendors to offer cloud implementations
- 00:36:00 – What is Greenlake – we’re not really sure….
- 00:40:00 – Does “as a service” create hardware agnostic customers?
- 00:42:45 – Let’s start with the predictions – is analytics a bubble?
- 00:48:50 – Eric sees application value as a big issue in the next 12 months
- 00:50:20 – Chris sees CXL and PCIe as big drivers of change
- 00:51:00 – Martin sees storage performance as a bit risk
- 00:53:30 – Four wise men? Creating some anti-predictions
- 00:54:15 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #221 – End of the Year Show 2021 – Part One
- #190 – NVIDIA BlueField SmartNICs & DPUs
- #180 – SmartNICs – Pliops Storage Processor
- #177 – SmartNICs and Project Monterey
- #217 – Introduction to CXL wit Jim Pappas
Copyright (c) 2016-2022 Unpacked Network. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #vfr4.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Podcast (storageunpacked): Play in new window | Download