In this week’s episode, Chris and Martin meet with Brian Carpenter, Senior Director of Unstructured Technology Strategy at Pure Storage, to talk about UFFO – Unified Fast File and Object. UFFO is a technology bringing together the two main types of unstructured data into a single platform – FlashBlade. The discussion centres on the benefits of using a single platform that offers high performance throughput for both file and object at the same time. Brian walks the team through use cases and how customers are using UFFO in their environments today.
You can find out more about UFFO at the Pure Storage Website – https://www.purestorage.com/products/file-and-object/flashblade/unified-fast-file-object.html which has details on the use cases and technology. Learn more about FlashBlade here – https://www.purestorage.com/products/file-and-object/flashblade.html
Finally, here’s a link to the Tech Field Day presentation by Brian Gold. https://techfieldday.com/appearance/pure-storage-presents-at-tech-field-day-23/
Elapsed Time: 00:42:20
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:00 – UFFO – Unified Fast File and Object
- 00:02:00 – Why do we need fast object & file?
- 00:03:40 – Object storage has been evolving for years
- 00:04:35 – Object storage doesn’t mean petabytes of capacity
- 00:06:05 – FlashBlade has been in the market just over 4 years
- 00:07:45 – All-flash for backup? It depends on RTO/RPO
- 00:10:35 – File/Object performance is critical with modern media
- 00:12:25 – UFFO enables customers to refactor their data without rearchitecting
- 00:14:40 – Applications now mix file and object usage
- 00:17:35 – FlashBlade isn’t mixing protocols on the same data
- 00:20:20 – FlashBlade enables growth per blade, with persistent performance
- 00:24:06 – The FlashBlade design makes it easy to build scale-out systems
- 00:26:25 – Use cases for workloads grow incrementally once systems are installed
- 00:29:55 – Martin still believes in a separate silo for data protection
- 00:32:05 – Cheaper flash will see greater adoption of UFFO in the data centre
- 00:34:45 – What are Pure Storage customers using UFFO to achieve?
- 00:37:55 – Amdahl’s Law is still relevant today
- 00:40:10 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- Soundbytes #008: FlashBlade 2.0 with Rob Lee at Pure Accelerate
- #118 – Pure Accelerate 2019 with Patrick Smith
- Pure //Accelerate 2016 – FlashBlade
- Moving to Unstructured Data Stores
Brian Carpenter is an experienced chief technologist, public speaker and thought leader. As Senior Director of Unstructured Technology Strategy at Pure Storage, Brian enables customers’ journeys to high-performance outcomes with Artificial Intelligence, Advanced Analytics, and Platform as a Service. Brian’s served in a variety of roles including heading up IT Departments, creating and fostering technology alliances, and business development initiatives for the data storage industry. He is a trusted advisor with real-world customer experience who can translate complex issues (and common struggles) to both technologists and executives alike. Brian shares his passion for technology as a business enabler through mentoring programs and advising startups on IT strategy.
Copyright (c) 2016-2022 Unpacked Network. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #6nxy.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Podcast (storageunpacked): Play in new window | Download