This week, Chris and Martin talk to Subbiah Sundaram, VP of Products at HYCU, Inc. HYCU is both the name of the company and the data protection product sold by HYCU Inc.
The market already has many data protection solutions, so the unique differentiator for HYCU is focusing on the HCI market, specifically offering backup for Nutanix (both ESXi and AHV). Of course, HCI platforms already have backup support, but as the discussion explains, having deeper integration into the HCI APIs, specifically those around changed file tracking, provide HYCU with an advantage over products backing up at the hypervisor layer.
As Chris and Martin find out, the name HYCU was originally intended to mean Hyper-Converged Uptime, but the association with Haiku (the Japanese short poems) is much more interesting. In fact, Martin created a HYCU Haiku during the recording:
Martin’s Haiku: My data flowing, disaster strikes like lightning, polarity reverses
Elapsed Time: 00:34:35
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:34 – Why does HCI backup justify a new way of working?
- 00:03:30 – HCI introduces a new platform, not just a server to back up
- 00:04:30 – Virtualisation changed the individual server backup paradigm
- 00:05:30 – APIs for taking backups – HCI provide another access point
- 00:07:00 – Where does the name HYCU and the company come from?
- 00:11:30 – Martin creates a Haiku
- 00:13:00 – How is the HYCU software deployed?
- 00:15:00 – How do service providers use HYCU with Nutanix?
- 00:19:40 – What differentiates HYCU from other backup vendors?
- 00:21:30 – Taking data from VADP or from the HCI storage layer?
- 00:23:55 – Applying backup to Nutanix Files (formerly AFS)
- 00:25:30 – Nutanix uses the Changed File Tracking (CFT) API
- 00:27:20 – Cross-cluster backup & restores and cross-hypervisor
- 00:31:50 – How does HYCU licensing work?
- 00:33:00 – Call to action – what’s next?
- 00:33:50 – Wrap up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- Validating HYCU Deployment By The Numbers
- Comtrade Software Becomes HYCU and releases HYCU 3.0
- Automating HCI Data Protection
- Why HCI Data Protection is Different
- Briefing Document: HYCU
Subbiah Sundaram is Vice President of Products at HYCU. He joined HYCU January of 2017 and has been instrumental in enabling the company to deliver the best in class multi-cloud solutions for Nutanix and Google Cloud. Prior to joining HYCU, Subbiah held senior executive positions at BMC, CA, DataGravity, EMC, NetApp and Veritas and has extensive experience in product development, planning and strategy. He holds a MS in Computer Engineering from the University of Iowa and an MBA from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.
Copyright (c) 2016-2018 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast Episode KUVM.