This episode was recorded while Chris was in Silicon Valley for Storage Field Day 18. Although not part of the event, Chris took time to catch up with Pavilion Data. in particular Jeff Sosa, VP Product Management and Walt Hinton, Head of Corporate and Product Marketing. Both Jeff and Walt have a long history in the storage industry, including companies like Virident, Western Digital, Fusion-io, Brocade, NetApp and Data Domain – to name but a few! It’s great to get opinions on the future of storage technology from industry experts, in this case on the subject of NVMe architectures.
NVMe represents a paradigm shift in how storage platforms are implemented. Where companies moved away from SAN to get local performance and agility, new architectures are enabling modern applications to take advantage of shared rack-scale storage and compute. Exactly how this plays out is still in process, but we can see a move towards the SAN technology that was so successful in the early part of the new millennium.
More information on Pavilion Data can be found at paviliondata.com.
Elapsed Time: 00:27:37
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:02:00 – Are we seeing the industry cycle around again with SANs?
- 00:03:00 – Industrial Military Complex – Microsoft, Oracle!
- 00:06:30 – Why did the new apps not use Fibre Channel?
- 00:09:00 – Understanding storage disaggregation
- 00:10:30 – Could scale out databases still benefit from shared storage?
- 00:13:00 – How can pricing be maintained without data reduction?
- 00:18:00 – Do super-high capacity drives force a return to shared storage?
- 00:21:00 – Should architectures start using cache-less writes?
- 00:24:00 – How are rack-scale storage solutions being adopted?
- 00:27:30 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #84 – Discussing New NVMe Form Factors with Jonathan Hinkle
- #76 – Fibre Channel and NVMe with Mark Jones
- #61 – Introduction to NVM Express with Amber Huffman
- The Race towards End-to-End NVMe in the Data Centre
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast Episode 8D01.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download