This week Chris and Martin talk to Nigel Tozer, Solutions Marketing Director for EMEA at Commvault. Nigel was a guest about 12 months ago and on that episode he talked about GDPR. This time the discussion is about ransomware and what businesses can do about it.
The challenges of protecting data from theft or extortion are greater than ever. So, can we identify a common attack model? Are specific operating systems more vulnerable? Most important, how do you develop a plan that protects your data and systems? The process is more than just patching primary systems (although we talk about that). It also means ensuring backup data is safe, because this is the main means of recovery.
Nigel references the National Cyber Security Centre, which can be found here. https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/
Elapsed Time: 00:32:02
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:20 – GDPR – was it a storm in a teacup?
- 00:02:30 – What is ransomware?
- 00:04:00 – Is there a common attack surface?
- 00:06:20 – How does Ransomware get installed?
- 00:07:12 – Ransomware as a service!
- 00:08:30 – Should you pay a ransom?
- 00:10:52 – What are the financial impacts for enterprises?
- 00:14:30 – Could backups also get compromised?
- 00:17:00 – How do you protect official exits?
- 00:20:00 – How do you know when you have active ransomware?
- 00:23:00 – Defence in depth, networking protection is needed too
- 00:23:00 – How should patching be done?
- 00:27:00 – The US government shutdown exposed risk to ransomware
- 00:29:00 – So what strategy should be used to deal with ransomware?
- 00:31:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- Garbage Collection #008 – Chris’ Travels – Commvault, NetApp and SFD14
- #86 – Eran Brown Discusses Storage, Security & Multi-Cloud
- Introduction to GDPR with Nigel Tozer from Commvault
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast Episode 7CCD.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download