This is the first of a series of podcast episodes recorded at Hitachi NEXT 2019 in Las Vegas. Hitachi announced the next generation of VSP storage arrays, the VSP 5000 at the show. The new platform provides greater performance and capacity than previous systems at lower latency. Chris meets with Colin Gallagher (VP Product Marketing for the Infrastructure Portfolio) and Dan McConnell (SVP of Infrastructure Product Management) to discuss the details.
VSP 5000 offers up to 21 million IOPS at 70µs and up to 69PB of internal capacity. This level of performance can be delivered with flash SAS drives. VSP 5000 is also capable of virtualising other platforms. This is particularly useful with older systems as it provides workload acceleration and the ability to exploit compression and deduplication onto those arrays.
Finally, the discussion covers the new release of Ops Center, which will be discussed in greater length in another podcast episode.
More details on VSP 5000 can be found here – https://www.hitachivantara.com/en-us/products/storage/all-flash-hybrid-flash-storage/vsp-5000-series.html
Elapsed Time: 00:21:09
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:00 – What is the VSP 5000?
- 00:02:00 – Hitachi Accelerated Fabric
- 00:03:45 – Hero Numbers, 21 million IOPS, 70µs
- 00:05:40 – 70µs with SAS flash drives
- 00:07:30 – VSP 5000 as a foundation for other solutions?
- 00:09:00 – SVOS could be more software-defined in the future
- 00:10:45 – Eight 9’s of availability? Not 100%? (only joking)
- 00:12:00 – 69PB in a single box, 279PB of virtualised capacity
- 00:13:00 – How is storage virtualisation being used today?
- 00:15:00 – Ops Center, new array management software
- 00:17:15 – Automation & “self-healing” as a goal
- 00:19:30 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode c01b.
Disclaimer: Chris was invited to NEXT 2019, with Hitachi covering travel and accommodation costs. There is no obligation to blog or produce podcasts from the event.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download