In this episode, Chris chats to friend of the show Chris Mellor from Blocks and Files. Both Chris’s attended Flash Memory Summit this year, held annually in San Jose and in person for the first time since 2019. Two big technology developments stand out from this year’s event. Firstly CXL, which is current flavour of the month with all vendors. The second is the diversity of SSD products, from computational storage to Ethernet drives. Chris walks through some of his observations, including MemVerge, NeuroBlade, Intel, Micron, Neo Semiconductor and Solidigm.
There’s a lot to unpack here, so buckle in and enjoy the ride! Note this podcast is recorded live (in a meeting room we “borrowed” from IBM), so the noise comes from the acoustics of the room. Apologies for the brief background interruption at 00:14:50, and of course Mr Mellor’s desk thumping, which fortunately isn’t too bad this time.
Elapsed Time: 00:26:50
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:03 – Three things – CXL, SSD diversity, event buzz
- 00:02:00 – No Micron stand at FMS
- 00:02:37 – Everybody loves CXL
- 00:04:10 – MemVerge on a rising tide?
- 00:04:55 – Is memory tiering a thing?
- 00:07:17 – NeuroBlade presented a “AI machine”
- 00:09:00 – Systems now need closely coupled designs
- 00:10:02 – 2024 could be a breakthrough for shared memory
- 00:11:55 – What is the “chipset” for ARM processors?
- 00:13:37 – Can Intel continue to dominate the server market with x86?
- 00:14:20 – The SSD market is exploding
- 00:14:50 – Disturbed!
- 00:16:09 – Neo Semiconductor has IP to optimise SSDs
- 00:17:40 – SSD designs could create internally tiered devices
- 00:19:13 – Devices could internally restack their data
- 00:19:40 – NGD Systems – are they gone?
- 00:22:03 – Solidigm introduced “synergy” software
- 00:22:56 – Standards protocols are focused on hyper-scaler requirements
- 00:25:01 – Meta is giving away technology (IP)
- 00:25:54 – Final conclusions – SSD is diversifying
- 00:26:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #236 – A FlashCore Module Primer with IBM Fellow & Storage CTO Andy Walls
- #235 – FlashCore Futures with IBM CMO Scott Baker
- #206 – An Update on NVMe 2.0 with Amber Huffman
- #117 – Introduction to Computational Storage with NGD Systems
Copyright (c) 2016-2023 Unpacked Network. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #ky4r.