In this episode, Chris is in conversation with Portworx co-founder and VP, GM of the Cloud Native Business Unit at Pure Storage, Murli Thirumale. Rather than covering specific technologies, this discussion looks at data as the third wave of IT agility. Wave One was the efficient use of infrastructure. Wave Two provided application mobility and agility. In Wave Three, data will be the key asset and businesses that succeed will be using multiple parallel data sources to their advantage.
Murli discusses the five data types expected to be combined to deliver business value. These are structured data, searchable data, analytics data, ML/AI ready data, and streaming data. In the conversation, Murli uses the example of UBER, combining multiple data sets to optimise a taxi journey. However, the ability to use data efficiently stretches across all industries.
Pure Storage and Portworx have announced Portworx Data Services, the first iteration of a platform that will address the on-demand management for all aspects of the five data types. You can find more details on the Portworx Data Services platform in our links section in these notes. Alternatively, check out the Portworx Data Services website.
Elapsed TIme: 00:34:59
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:02:00 – Piping /dev/random – Windows randomises badly!
- 00:03:00 – Modern apps still need persistent data
- 00:04:00 – Infrastructure management led to app management, now data management
- 00:09:00 – Agility introduces other challenges, like network effects and security
- 00:12:00 – Uber is a big mashup of data
- 00:13:30 – What are the modern data types?
- 00:14:15 – Data will become a service
- 00:15:15 – Data types – structured data, searchable data, analytics, ML/AI data, streaming data
- 00:19:20 – The value of Uber is the IP to exploit data
- 00:20:00 – How do businesses bring data sets together and use them efficiently?
- 00:25:45 – What challenges are there with data – governance?
- 00:28:30 – We need role-based access controls for data
- 00:31:00 – What’s coming up with Portworx and Pure Storage?
- 00:34:15 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #211 – Pure//Launch – Announcing Fusion and Portworx Data Services (Sponsored)
- How will Fusion and Portworx Data Services impact the future direction of Pure Storage?
- Pure//Launch – Pure Storage Announces Fusion and Portworx Data Services
- Pure Storage Acquires Portworx
Copyright (c) 2016-2022 Unpacked Network. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #klf4.
Podcast (storageunpacked): Play in new window | Download