This week, Chris and Martin chat to Amber Huffman, Intel Fellow and President of NVM Express about the updates in NVMe 2.0. NVM Express (generally abbreviated to NVMe) is a storage protocol that was developed to overcome some of the shortcomings of traditional protocols when working with new high performance media such as NAND SSDs and Optane. The 2.0 release of the NVMe standard refactors the protocol design and also introduces new features, including Namespace Types, Zoned Namespaces, Key-Value data types, endurance group management and HDD support. Amber explains the rationale behind the restructuring and what specifically the new features will introduce. The conversation continues with insights into how NVMe 2.0 will be rolled out, and in particular the work being done with computational storage devices.
You can learn more about NVMe at nvmexpress.org or of course, review some of our older podcasts and blogs (linked below) where we introduce NVMe and discuss the impact of the technology on the enterprise.
Elapsed Time: 00:42:10
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:00:15 – Martin’s Chia update
- 00:03:00 – NVMe is widely used in enterprise, consumer and mobile devices
- 00:05:15 – Why has NVMe been refactored?
- 00:07:00 – New changes aim to reduce complexity and aid future development
- 00:09:40 – Namespace Types introduces multiple data formats
- 00:10:30 – Zoned Namespaces introduces multi-media type support
- 00:11:05 – Key/Value provides Key-Value data access
- 00:12:35 – Namespace types enables computational storage
- 00:13:10 – However, Martin likes the operational benefits of NVMe 2.0!
- 00:16:10 – How will data and code be pushed to computational storage?
- 00:18:00 – Features for computational storage will be in future NVMe releases
- 00:19:00 – NVMe starts to provide more awareness for the application and O/S
- 00:24:10 – Hard drives will be able to support NVMe!
- 00:25:40 – Will we standardise on NVMe and drop other protocols?
- 00:27:50 – What happens with existing devices, can they be upgraded?
- 00:31:25 – How will hyperscalers adopt NVMe 2.0?
- 00:33:00 – What has been updated in NVMe over Fabrics?
- 00:36:30 – Vendors will start to adopt specific features of the new protocol
- 00:38:00 – Computational storage will be the next big NVMe push
- 00:41:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #61 – Introduction to NVM Express with Amber Huffman
- #120 – NVMe 1.4 Deep Dive Part I with J Metz
- #121 – NVMe 1.4 Deep Dive Part II with J Metz
- Architecting IT NVMe Microsite
Copyright (c) 2016-2022 Unpacked Network. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #j4kh.
Podcast (storageunpacked): Play in new window | Download