As we head towards week 4 of lockdown in the UK, Chris and Martin reflect on the personal changes in their daily routines, as well as the implications on businesses. This has been a time for dusting off old skills (like DNS/DHCP configurations) and finding new uses for Raspberry Pis and Arduinos.
Working from home has placed significant focus on Zoom, where the attack vector for “zoombombing” has resulted in some organisations (like schools) temporarily moving away from the platform. We’re seeing the inevitability of short-term scaling, for Zoom and Microsoft with Teams.
Are cloud vendors struggling with capacity? There have been reports of delays in instance provisioning and constraints on free and educational accounts. But things aren’t all bad. Cohesity has announced another $250m in funding and since recording, VAST Data has received a $100m C-round.
How should companies be optimising in these times? The COVID-19 restrictions provide the impetus to look again at optimisation of storage platforms and virtual machine allocations. However, a quick dash to the public cloud could lead some organisations to introduce technical debt that will need resolution later.
Here’s a link to TinkerCad, mentioned by Martin.
Elapsed Time: 00:34:00
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:00 – Martin learns the violin – almost….
- 00:02:00 – Spending time redoing home IT
- 00:04:30 – How many Raspberry PIs do you have?
- 00:06:35 – Shortage of laptops and webcams
- 00:07:10 – Zoom under pressure
- 00:10:30 – Random LinkedIn connections
- 00:11:40 – In-person events for 2021 already being cancelled
- 00:12:50 – Will old-style networking events come back?
- 00:15:00 – Vendors could learn a lot from traditional media
- 00:16:27 – Are cloud vendors struggling with capacity?
- 00:19:02 – Cohesity raises $250m in the current market
- 00:21:00 – What tech optimisations should we be looking at?
- 00:23:20 – Estate maintenance is having to change
- 00:23:37 – BC/DR needs a review
- 00:26:00 – What are the implications of moving workloads to the cloud?
- 00:28:42 – What will cloud migrations look like in the current environment?
- 00:32:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- Weekend Lab Work: DHCP Servers
- Weekend Lab Work: DNS Servers
- #149 – Coronavirus 2.0
- #146 – Coronavirus and Impacts on the Technology Industry
Copyright (c) 2016-2023 Unpacked Network. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #rqrp.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Podcast (storageunpacked): Play in new window | Download