In this episode, Chris chats to Gina Minks, independent marketing consultant with Digital Sunshine Solutions. The latest buzzword to hit the technology world is “supercloud”, a term that is meant to encompass more than hybrid and multi-cloud solutions. What does the term actually mean, and are we at risk of being sucked into yet another marketing term that ultimately is a rehashing of what IT has done for years? Listen to Gina explain her view of the industry and how we should be focused on delivering what’s right for the business.
Following up on some housekeeping points, a cape is indeed a partial covering, whereas a cloak entirely covers the wearer. We also note that the @gina twitter handle is already taken (boo).
Follow our Gina at @gminks or check out https://digitalsunshinesolutions.com/
Elapsed Time: 00:41:08
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:03:45 – What is a “Supercloud”?
- 00:07:40 – Isn’t cloud diversity just the new version of hardware diversity?
- 00:10:20 – Kickstart & Anaconda – flaky software!
- 00:13:00 – Is the Edge a real thing?
- 00:14:45 – Shim layers are to be avoided
- 00:17:00 – Prod/UAT/Dev, all can be divided into separate clouds
- 00:19:45 – Tactical use of multiple clouds already exists in business
- 00:21:00 – The data is the value, compute is ethereal
- 00:22:15 – Cloud economics is huge challenge for enterprises
- 00:27:15 – DevOps, DevSecOps, is there a DevFinOps?
- 00:30:15 – Gina has never seen a chain printer
- 00:31:30 – What should we do? Is there Cloud FOMO?
- 00:35:00 – Cloud definitions – is VMware Cloud a cloud?
- 00:37:30 – Maybe we need Super Architects with capes!
- 00:38:40 – What conclusions have we reached?
- 00:40:00 – Wrap Up
Copyright (c) 2022 Unpacked Network. Post #fr3e. Do not reproduce without permission, in part, or whole.
Podcast (hybridcloud): Play in new window | Download