In this podcast, recorded on 2nd September 2017, the guys chat to Andy Hardy, Regional Vice President at Nasuni. Nasuni has developed a global file platform that uses cloud storage as the “backing store”. In this podcast, the guys chat to Andy about the benefits of a global file system that requires very little on-premises storage and the components it replaces, including backup and DR. The conversation also touches on where the market is headed, who is having success and the continual divergence between IOPS for block and capacity storage for file/object.
Elapsed Time: 00:29:09
- 00:00:00 – Introductions
- 00:01:00 – Nasuni – a cloud-native file system, file backed by object storage
- 00:02:00 – Cloud File Storage – replacing onsite backup, storage and DR
- 00:03:00 – NetApp, Isilon killer!
- 00:04:00 – Obfuscating the cloud provider and choosing the right platform
- 00:05:00 – Data sovereignty and compliance – managing data for a global enterprise
- 00:06:00 – Mixing and matching object storage providers – is this a commodity game already?
- 00:08:00 – Storage ratios – 20% block, 80% unstructured – but block sees the money
- 00:10:00 – Solving the latency problem with local caching appliances – not specific data placement
- 00:12:00 – What are the use cases? Can this work for analytics? Four use cases – Global NAS, Collaboration, Active Archive and Analytics
- 00:13:50 – IBM Newton? Surely IBM Watson, Andy…and Donald Trump semi-naked….
- 00:15:00 – Partner relationships – who wants to work with global NAS providers?
- 00:15:20 – Microsoft being Microsoft and the success of Azure
- 00:17:20 – What about the rest of the storage industry?
- 00:17:40 – The changing economics of deploying storage
- 00:19:30 – The shrinking and increasingly competitive block storage market
- 00:20:30 – As (unstructured) data moves to the cloud, on-prem focuses on IOPS spending
- 00:20:55 – How do you deal with failure? (Not a personal question, Andy)
- 00:24:00 – What about getting access to my data directly in the multi-cloud?
- 00:27:00 – What is up and coming for Nasuni? Integration and APIs
- 00:28:00 – Wrap up!
Vendors Mentioned In This Podcast
These vendors, sometimes briefly, are all mentioned in this podcast episode.
Nasuni, Azure Blob, AWS S3, Nirvanix, IBM Cloud Object Storage, Cleversafe, EMC ECS, Cloudian, Dell Storage, Compellent, Nutanix, Tintri, Tegile, Nimble Storage, Pure Storage, 3PAR, LeftHand, Equallogic, Simplivity
Copyright (c) 2016-2017 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download