This week Martin and Chris catch up again with Hal Woods, CTO at Datera. In this sponsored episode, we look in detail at the Datera Data Services Platform and how it differs from traditional storage. DSP is a software-defined solution, which is purchased either as a software licence or in conjunction with partners.
Software-defined storage has been around for some time, but hasn’t really offered the disaggregation from hardware performance that applications need in the enterprise. DSP enables administrators to set performance and availability policies that are then implemented by DSP, based on the hardware available.
This disaggregation distinction is important because over time, hardware gets refreshed but application performance needs to remain consistent. DSP delivers a “perpetual storage infrastructure” from which hardware is added or removed as part of ongoing deployment.
You can learn more about DSP at the Datera Website, including blogs and review the presentations at the recent SDDC Symposium, hosted by Datera.
Elapsed Time: 00:42:28
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:02:00 – What is the Datera Data Services Platform?
- 00:03:20 – Why package hardware with software for SDS?
- 00:04:10 – DSP is a disaggregated solution, not HCI
- 00:05:45 – How has the need for persistent storage changed?
- 00:08:10 – Telemetry and dashboards are key SDS features
- 00:10:15 – There’s no greater problem than when storage fails
- 00:12:35 – Deeper dive – what features does DSP offer?
- 00:13:45 – What is does real API-driven mean?
- 00:15:00 – Performance and resiliency is driven by policy
- 00:19:55 – DSP is multi-tenant with role-based access
- 00:22:35 – Developers see a resource to use, admins to manage
- 00:24:50 – Data will outlive any specific cluster configuration
- 00:26:15 – How does DSP implement data protection?
- 00:29:10 – Customers struggle to know their own requirements
- 00:33:35 – How is DSP licensed?
- 00:34:25 – How will DSP develop in the future? New features?
- 00:38:50 – how has the momentum of the company increased?
- 00:41:05 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #58ai.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download