In this podcast episode, we continue the discussions from Hitachi NEXT 2019. Chris talks to Scott Baker, Senior Director, Emerging Business and Data Intelligence at Hitachi Vantara. Scott covers the HCP object storage platform and has responsibility for data protection solutions. This conversation looks at updates to the Hitachi HCP portfolio and associated tools and products.
The discussion starts with a look at Data Ops. This is a relatively new term in the industry that we discussed on a podcast earlier this year with CMO Jonathan Martin and John Magee (episode #103). As businesses mature in their data management lifecycle, the curation and ongoing publishing of data sources becomes a critical requirement, the Data Ops concept.
The conversation continues the discussion to the additional products around the Lumada brand (specifically Lumada Data Lake) and the move from data from being purely an archive to an intelligent business asset.
To understand the reference to military helicopters, listen to Scott’s podcast (episode #68) from last year, recorded outside in San Diego at Next 2018. It was a challenging environment to say the least…
Elapsed Time: 00:24:38
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:02:15 – What is Data Ops?
- 00:05:30 – Data management workflows are being pushed to the Edge
- 00:08:03 – Workflow policies can be managed in core, pushed to the edge
- 00:09:17 – How do we protect against “malware” data injection?
- 00:11:43 – User can rate data to validate the quality, model and lineage
- 00:13:20 – New – improvements to content intelligence product – ML/AI
- 00:16:20 – Data ingest of structured data – conversion to XML
- 00:18:00 – ML/AI to build visual dictionaries for non text data
- 00:20:00 – Data becomes more “intelligent” and not just an archive
- 00:21:50 – Instance Director doesn’t change the format of data
- 00:23:23 – Wrap up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #103 – Data Management and Data Ops with Hitachi Vantara
- #127 – Hitachi Next 2019: CI & HCI Solutions Update
- #125 – Hitachi Next 2019: Ops Center
- #123 – Hitachi Next 2019: VSP 5000
- Hitachi Vantara Introduces VSP 5000 Series Storage Arrays
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #75ID.
Disclaimer: Chris was invited to NEXT 2019, with Hitachi covering travel and accommodation costs. There is no obligation to blog or produce podcasts from the event.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download