In this episode, Chris talks to Brian Schwarz, VP of Product Management for FlashBlade and ObjectEngine at Pure Storage. ObjectEngine is a scale-out de-duplication engine that efficiently writes data to either FlashBlade or public cloud object stores. The solution developed from the acquisition of StorReduce in 2018.
ObjectEngine was conceived when Pure Storage observed customers using FlashBlade for backup data. The FlashBlade platform was originally developed for high-performance file-based applications like analytics. De-duplication wasn’t integrated natively as an initial design decision. Combining ObjectEngine with FlashBlade enables space saving ratios of around 8:1 or greater.
You can learn more about FlashBlade, ObjectEngine and other Pure technologies at Pure Accelerate. The event will be held in Austin this year, between 15-18 September 2019. You can follow Brian online at https://twitter.com/theschwarzbwthu (which we think is a Star Wars reference).
Elapsed Time: 00:15:56
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:00:45 – StorReduce was acquired 3Q2018
- 00:01:30 – Where was the need for ObjectEngine?
- 00:03:45 – FlashBlade was designed for low impact of CPU & Memory
- 00:04:25 – How is ObjectEngine packaged and sold?
- 00:07:40 – Has ObjectEngine driven new or existing customer engagement?
- 00:09:17 – ObjectEngine is S3 object API on the input and output
- 00:10:20 – How will ObjectEngine look in the public cloud?
- 00:13:20 – What is the impact of encryption with ObjectEngine?
- 00:14:55 – Pure Accelerate 2019 – This year in Austin
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #51 – Pure Accelerate Pregame
- Soundbytes #008: FlashBlade 2.0 with Rob Lee at Pure Accelerate
- Pure Storage ObjectEngine for Flash-based Backup