This week, Chris and Martin discuss the issues of building a multi-cloud data storage strategy. The range of options for private, public and hosted data services is huge, with each offering a different set of services and implemented in subtly unique ways. How can an enterprise take advantage of these services, while maintaining data protection, cost control and service availability all front and centre? This conversation is incredibly wide-ranging, touching on data centre build and usage, Finops for cloud, global name spaces, operating system envy and finding that killer app for the public cloud that locks in the user.
Elapsed Time: 00:44:27
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:00:26 – It’s a year since UK lockdown
- 00:01:30 – What do we mean by multi-cloud storage?
- 00:03:00 – There are many choices for data placement
- 00:04:00 – Enterprises won’t completely shut down their data centres
- 00:07:17 – Each cloud service provider has specific strengths
- 00:09:00 – On-premises is good for data sovereignty issues
- 00:12:00 – Do we really want to spin up applications in multiple locations?
- 00:13:50 – How do we address storage cost management in cloud?
- 00:14:40 – Application access profiles directly affects service costs
- 00:17:00 – Structured data sharing works best at the application layer
- 00:18:20 – Global Name Spaces are essential for making data mobile
- 00:20:48 – The traditional storage management role is dying off
- 00:24:00 – File and Object are a good candidate for merger
- 00:30:00 – Announcing the Finops for Storage Accounting podcast!
- 00:32:20 – Will hyper-scalers ever open up their storage platforms?
- 00:37:00 – My operating system is better than yours!
- 00:38:42 – Is there a killer app or technology in any public cloud?
- 00:41:30 – The first vendor to stitch data together will make big money
- 00:43:43 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #179 – The Myth of Cheap Cloud Storage
- #116 – Fixing Gaps in Cloud Storage with Andy Watson
- #86 – Eran Brown Discusses Storage, Security & Multi-Cloud
- The Myth of Cloud Bursting
Copyright (c) 2016-2021 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #0qu3.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download