This week, Chris and Martin talk to Shawn Meyers, Field CTO at Tintri about SQL Integrated Storage. The Tintri VMstore platform originally provided the ability to apply policy-based management to virtual machines on shared storage. This capability has now been extended to databases, in particular Microsoft SQL Server.
SQL Integrated Storage (or SIS) works by exposing an SMB share from the VMstore platform onto which database files are stored. VMstore is provided awareness of the SQL database structure and can therefore manage the QoS and data management requirements of individual files that comprise a single database.
What’s interesting about this technology is the promise for further abstraction of application data away from virtual machines. The files of a database can now easily be mapped to a container or physical machine as required. Data can be cloned and replicated very easily. The technology can also be extended to other structured data solutions.
Learn more about SIS here – https://tintri.com/solutions/sql-integrated-storage/
Elapsed Time: 00:34:03
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:02:00 – Tintri is now part of DDN
- 00:03:00 – What is VMstore?
- 00:05:20 – VMstore applies VM-level QoS
- 00:07:00 – vSAN doesn’t do VM-based QoS
- 00:09:00 – SQL Integrated Storage offers database-level QoS
- 00:10:45 – How is SIS managing data? SMB
- 00:12:50 – What databases are supported? MS SQL Server
- 00:15:00 – NFS faster than Fibre Channel? Never!
- 00:16:51 – What does SIS enable?
- 00:19:30 – Separation of data and code
- 00:20:30 – SIS is a data mobility solution
- 00:24:00 – SIS could provide minute-based SQL snapshots
- 00:25:43 – What is the customer feedback so far?
- 00:27:40 – SIS could enable quick post-replication checks
- 00:29:15 – Obligatory mainframe reference!
- 00:31:09 – Call to action
- 00:32:30 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- Private Cloud Storage and The Tintri Platform
- #168 – Storage Unicorns
- #110 – Storage Vendor Consolidations & Acquisitions
- Whatever Happened to VVOLs?
Copyright (c) 2016-2020 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #hlo4.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download