This week, Chris and Martin dig deeper into the adoption of Intel Optane technology in both the consumer and enterprise markets. Optane is a new persistent memory technology that offers greater performance and lower latency compared to NAND flash, but currently is more expensive and offers smaller capacity devices. As Optane becomes more prevalent in both markets, how is it being adopted and what needs to change to increase adoption levels?
Note: Since recording, Chris has tried out the Intel H10 device and the results were disappointing. Read more here.
Elapsed Time: 00:31:49
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:20 – Is Optane poised for data centre and consumer dominance?
- 00:02:20 – What are the Optane consumption forms?
- 00:03:38 – How can Optane be used at home?
- 00:06:10 – Could Optane offer “instant on”?
- 00:07:05 – How does H10 manage the Optane/QLC cache?
- 00:08:10 – Optane offers benefits for home video editing
- 00:10:22 – Optane is 16x more expensive than QLC
- 00:10:40 – Could FuzeDrive be a better solution to build a hybrid drive?
- 00:12:00 – A home PC can offer greater performance than 10-year old arrays
- 00:13:45 – Will we use M.2 in the data centre (or U.2)?
- 00:14:00 – Where is Optane being used in the data centre?
- 00:16:25 – Operating System support for Optane is already here
- 00:17:44 – Will Open Source databases be first to exploit Optane
- 00:19:28 – Optane is optimised for byte-level addressing
- 00:22:08 – Optane adoption is still tactical, like SSDs
- 00:22:50 – How would containers and Optane work?
- 00:26:40 – Intel doesn’t appear to sell raw Optane chips
- 00:28:35 – Would Martin consider Optane for home?
- 00:30:40 – Wrap Up
Vendors mentioned in this podcast: StorONE, VAST Data, Pure Storage, 3PAR/HPE, Vexata, MemVerge, IBM, Western Digital, Infinidat, StorageOS, Portworx.
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- Intel H10 Hybrid Optane M.2 SSD is a Disappointment
- When Will Optane SSDs Replace NAND Flash?
- What is Intel Optane?
- FlashArray//X Gets Optane Acceleration with DirectMemory
- HPE Demos 3PAR with Intel Optane (3D-XPoint)
- #174 – Introduction to Zoned Storage with Phil Bullinger
- #171 – Exploiting Persistent Memory with MemVerge
- #184 – MCAS – Memory Centric Active Storage
Copyright (c) 2016-2021 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #kehf.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download